Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Texas Star Tri

July 14 my husband, son and myself participated in the Texas Star Tri in Montgomery.  This was the second time for Matthew to do this race and the second pool swim for Bryan.  Me it was my first pool swim.  Our day started early as usual, we got to the race to get our gear setup and get Hannah to the person in charge of the volunteers (best way to get your kid watched after, have her volunteer).  She got to help out at the finish line putting medals on everyone and handing the runners water.  Later at the awards ceremony she was handing the awards out. 

Matthew and Bryan didn't want to get a practice swim in, but I did so that I can make sure my breathing was under control.  When I was getting into the water I saw my buddy Chris Hill, he had 5 of his clients that he was training them for IMTX.  I felt good when he asked me if I was bi-lateral breathing and if I was doing it every 3 strokes, of course I said yes, because that is what I was doing. 

I got out and headed back to my bike, where I found other Conroe Triathletes there, Judy and Jim (Judy was next to me in the bike racks and in the swim).  We chatted and got ready, then headed to the potty for the last time, then to the pool to line up.  Judy was in front of me, Matthew a couple people behind me and Bryan (odd numbers were on the opposite side of the pool) was across the pool.  We waited then, it was our turn. 

I dove in (mistake) and when I did my goggles came up and I got a super shot of water in my eye.  I kinda fixed it, then just dealt with it.  I caught up to Judy, tapped her foot, then went around her at the rope, come up onto another lady who was going to slow for me, so I watied for my chance to pass her, popped my head up and swam as fast and as hard as I could because there was another swimmer coming towards me.  I did this to I think 2 more people.  There were helpers grabbing your hands to help you out of the pool, but I decided to do it myself, as did my husband.  For once when I got out of the water, I was not totally dis-orientented.  For the swim, I was totally in control, unlike when I have done the open water swim, where the water was in control of me.  I got out and headed to my bike, with a small jog. 

Bryan was already out of the water and I assume on the bike when I got to my bike, I was not looking at that point.  I put my shoes and helmet one and rolled out.  Not even to mile 1 and I hear this sarcastic "on your left", yup Matthew had caught up to me.  Now he rides a road bike, which is lighter and faster, plus he is clipped in.  I ride a hybrid, which is heavy and a bit harder to get going.  So, when he passed me, I had to give absolutely everything I had to catch him.  Matthew slowed down on the hills, where I powered up them (determination at its best).  As I was about to catch him, Matthew caught up to Bryan, passed him, then Bryan starts peddling faster, then I pass Bryan and he tried just as hard to keep up (he is on a hybrid too).  Well I FINALLY passed Matthew and had about 8 miles to work my butt off to keep him behind me.  He passed me one other time, but I got back in front and when we got to the dis mount line, I was first!  Of course time wise he beat me by like 45 seconds, but I rolled in first and in my book that is what counted.  LOL

So, I racked my bike, grabbed my water bottle and headed out on the run.  Of course Matthew had to change his shoes and I was jacking with him about it.  As I headed out of transition, Chris hollers at me that I still have my helmet on.  Yup I was that dork starting to run out with the helmet on.  So I chunked it at the exit of the transition and took off.  That's what I get for trash talking my husband.  The run course was very good, 90% of it was on grass fields, mostly shaded.  Last year the finish was on the track, but you had to run about 300 meters to the finish line on the track, so I was ready to do that.  Well, they changed it up a bit and you only had maybe 50 meters.  I sprinted in and finished.  I went back to get the rest of my clan, Matthew came in before I turned around, then Judy.  As I was heading back, I came across Jim, ran him him, then went back for Bryan, found him and raced him in.  All were accounted for. 
 
Judy and I were gathered around the monitor that posts the results and I glanced over and realized that I got FIRST in my age group as well did Judy.  That was totally awesome!  When the time came for awards, I got to have mine handed to me by my daughter, which was more special as she was just grinning ear to ear when she heard my name called.  I ended up with the fastest swim ever 6:55, the fastest bike ride 35:50 and almost PR'd my 5k.  Matthew PR'd on everything and Bryan, well his knee was hurting too bad and it showed. 
 
Overall, this was a very good experience at the Texas Star Tri. 
 
The pics are Hannah giving me my award, Judy getting her award and Hannah and the race director getting ready to hand out awards. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment